Joy English FAQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://joy-english-faq.666forum.com

125. Kinship Names: To Capitalize or Not to Capitalize? Empty 125. Kinship Names: To Capitalize or Not to Capitalize?

Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:28 pm
Rule 1: Capitalize a kinship name when it immediately precedes a personal name or is used alone, in place of a personal name. Examples Andy and Opie loved Aunt Bee's apple pies. We adore Uncle Malik, because he always treats us like royalty when we visit him. Grandma and Grandpa were married in a chapel in a small French village. Let's go ask Mom if we can go to the movies. Rule 2: Do not capitalize a kinship name when it is not part of the personal name but is a word describing the personal name. This usually occurs when the kinship name is preceded by articles such as the, a, or an; or possessive pronouns such as his, her, my, our, your, or their. Examples Andy and Opie loved their aunt Bea's apple pies. We adore our uncle Malik, because he always treats us like royalty when we visit him. My grandma and grandpa were married in a chapel in a small French village. Let's go ask my mom if we can go to the movies. Rule 3: Do not capitalize a kinship name when it follows the personal name or is not referencing a specific person. Examples The James brothers were notorious for robbing scores of banks and trains. There's not one mother I know who would allow her child to cross that street alone.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum