Joy English FAQ
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Admin
Admin
https://joy-english-faq.666forum.com

25. Writing about sentences and punctuating them Empty 25. Writing about sentences and punctuating them

Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:32 am
One sentence:
Sentences like "She invited Mrs. R. and I to go driving" are common, even among people generally well-informed.

In sentences like "This advice is free to whoever will take it," the word ending in "-ever" is the subject of the verb "will take," not the object of the preposition "to."

In the sentence "I have lost my ball," the word "have" must be italicized.

Two sentences:
In the sentences "I have lost my ball," and "She has lost her ball," the word "ball" must be italicized.

Three sentences (or more):
You may say the following sentences: "I don't have any water;" "I haven't any water;" and "I don't have water."

or

We may say, "This is an eagle," meaning "one eagle." But we may not say, "An eagle is our national bird," "This is a rare kind of an eagle," or, "It is not worthy of the name of an eagle"; because in these sentences "eagle" is used as the name, not of a single bird, but of a class of birds, and includes in its meaning all the birds which belong to the class called "eagle."

Questions:
The question "May I pass?" is perfectly natural.

Many languages have special grammatical forms for questions. For example, in the English sentence

"Are you happy?", the inversion of the subject you and the verb are shows it to be a question rather than a statement.

We may ask, "Is this an eagle?" meaning "one eagle." But we may not ask, "Is the eagle our national bird?", "Is this is a rare kind of an eagle?" or, "Is it not worthy of the name of an eagle."

www.gutenberg.org/files/12421/12421-h/12421-h.htm